sand
menu left home | directory | news | location | map | history | galleries | shop | what's on | links | contact menu right
main header
content spacer

A chronological table of the main events which have shaped Newbiggin by the Sea.

875 The town was originally called South Wallerick. After the Danish invasion in AD875 the town was renamed Neubegang or Newbegining, with several different spellings until we have the present Newbiggin.

1240

The township of Newbiggin was held by John de Baliol in fee simple from the King

1294

Henry III grants a charter to allow a market to be held at Newbiggin weekly on Mondays. Also for a Fair to be held annually - 'on the eve, day and morrow of St Bartholomew's Day.

1333

Edward II directed the people of Newbiggin to lay an embargo on all ships within the port, and to detain them for his use, besides furnishing him with a list of vessels belonging to the port.

1336

All ships in Newbiggin belonging to the King's service were told to join the Northern Fleet at Orwell in Suffolk.

1337

A borough was established in Newbiggin with the Freeholders constituting the corporation - with the discharge of public duties and payment of monies for public benefit.

1352

Bishop Hatfield of Durham 'granted an indulgence of 40 days' to anyone in his diocese willing to help repair the Pier, which was situated along the rocks in the North end of the bay.

1662

The Parish Register of Newbiggin commenced.

1796

Prince William of Gloucester attended a service at Woodhorn Church while his troops camped on Newbiggin Moor

1846

Thirteenth Century Church is rebuilt by Public Subscription. From this time forward the village appears to have prospered. Turn of the century churches and schools were built, a gas company was formed and the National Lifeboat Institution built a station.

1855

Population: 717

1860

Telegraph cables Jutland to Newbiggin-by-the-Sea were laid. The cables terminated in a 'Cable House' just above the shoreline.

1868

The Newbiggin Church of England Schol is built. The first annual report praises the school, but notes that the annual expenses exceed the receipts.

1869

The Presbyterian Church is built.

1876


Wesleyan Chapel opened on the 28th October. Reverend T. Overton of Newcastle preached to a large congregation. The church cost £1,400 and the architect was Mr. F.R.N. Haswell of North Shields.

Cost of maintaining roads and footpaths was £250


1891

Population: 1,388

1897

Cases of typhoid in the Gibson Street area, due to the poor state of a backyard drain. There were 88 births and 26 deaths in that year.

1906

Residents were dependant upon wells for water. It was used for flushing drains and cleaning cow sheds and slaughterhouses as well as drinking.

1910

Vessels Fleetwing and Conquest are torn from their moorings in Newbiggin bay and driven ashore. Conquest was wrecked and became a plaything for local children.

1911

Population: 3,466

1914

22nd February. Lifeboat Ada Lewis rescues the eighteen men and the Captain and his wife from the schooner Artic Stream, which encountered difficulties when being tugged back home.

1919

Peace Celebration after the First World War, 19th July. A massive bonfire was constructed on the moor, built with railway sleepers and flammable waste. A greasy pole was placed behind he bonfire with a large ham on top, for the first person to reach it.

1920

Erection of Council Houses and 328 state aided homes. Private houses were being built elswhere in the village.

1921

Colliery War Memorial is unveiled.

1931

Population: 8,640

1940

The Eminent requires aid from the lifeboat Augustus and Laura. The lifeboat was unable to get around Church Point so volunteers, mainly women, pulled the boat across the moor and launched it frm the East Sands. After the rescue, the lifeboat had to be pulled back to the lifeboathouse through driving snow. George (Minty) Taylor recieved The Silver Medal for Gallantry.

1950s

John Braine writes his best selling novel Room at the Top between stamping tickets a Newbiggin Library. It was later turned into a film starring Laurence Harvey and Simone Signoret.

1988

The highly acclaimed Song of the Coal was performed at Newbiggin Community and Liesure Centre. It was written by Mike Kirkup with music by Derek Hobbs.

2002

Newbiggin Heritage Centre launched on the seafront near Church Point. Features displays of Newbiggin local history.


2003


Population 7,500 approx.

 

2007

 

Work begins on the coastal protection scheme involving the building of a new breakwater, the importation of new sand for the beach and the installation of the first offshore sculpture in the UK - "Couple" by internationally renowned sculptor, Sean Henry.

content spacer
footer