|home | news | location | crew | events | history | gallery | lifeboat | boathouse | links|
NEWBIGGIN BY THE SEA LIFEBOAT HOUSE - A POTTED HISTORY
1851 - Boathouse built and first lifeboat both provided by the Duke of Northumberland following the March 1851 fishing disaster.
1857 - Alterations to boathouse and provision of roadway - cost £44 3s 4d.
1860 - Duke of Northumberland gifted a barometer and new lifeboat to the station
1862 - Construction of new road over Newbiggin Common for launching.
1865 - Boathouse, roof raised, new doors fitted ready for new lifeboat - cost £78
1882- Mr. BuddIes undertook work to repair the wooden slipway - cost £35 lOsh
1885- Boathouse repaired and lengthened ready for new lifeboat - cost £70 lOsh.
1889- Wheelways re-laid on slipway for carriage - cost £40 lOsh. Also gas light fitted above front doors - cost £2 11 s 6d.
1891 - Wheelways laid over soft sand at base of slipway to assist launching - cost £23 lOs.
1894 - New moveable winch provided outside the boathouse.
1896 - New roller doors fitted at south end of boathouse - cost £75. Winch fixed in position and cover fitted - cost £5.
1899 - Brick paved apron laid at front of boathouse by Mr Finlay - cost £9 1s.
1903 - Roof skylight installed and storage cupboards - cost £111 6s 6d.
1909 - Minor repairs, cleaning and painting the boathouse - cost £16 5s. By Messrs. Wilkinson & Company.
1910- Repointing and stonework repairs by local builder - cost £51 7sh 6d.
1912- Water service provided to the boathouse - cost £7 s
1914 - Following winter storms repairs to slipway timber toe - cost £29 1 5sh. (A proposed concrete slipway estimated at £144 was rejected)
1919 - Repairs to boathouse roller doors - cost £52.
1929- Provision of concrete slipway - cost £450. 1934 - Provision of electric lighting in boathouse.
1937- Boathouse lengthened, new internal winch fitted, new windows, blocking north doors, provision of workshop for first new motor lifeboat - cost £380.
1938- Groyne provided at edge of slipway - cost £138 lOs.
1945 - Slipway alterations.
1946- Mechanized winch provided.
1949 - Tractor house built onto east side ready for first lifeboat tractor.
1964 - Boathouse door opening increased, electric winch installed, toilet provided prior to the Oakley lifeboat arriving.
1981 - Various alterations following arrival of Atlantic 21 lifeboat.
1998 - Boathouse extended to take Atlantic 75 lifeboat, upgrade of crew facilities
Mary Joicey in Boathouse c1967 Refurbished & Extended Boathouse c1999
Hydrostatic Tractor at Boathouse Tractor Entering Boathouse